Minor In Possession (MIP)

If you are a minor or parent of a minor that has been charged with Minor in Possession (MIP) of Alcohol in San Antonio, you are most likely concerned about the legal implications of this criminal offense. It is important to protect yourself from being stuck with a criminal record that can follow you for life. A criminal record will show up on any background check, can effect future education and career opportunities and can prove to be troublesome down the road.

Minor in Possession of alcohol is a very common charge in San Antonio courts and we have experience helping clients fight these charges.

A Minor in Possession charge is punishable by a fine of up to $500.00 and can result in additional penalties, including a permanent criminal record. For a flat fee of $350.00 we will handle appear in San Antonio court for you to fight your Minor in Possession charge. You will not be required to appear. Our fee covers all expenses, including your fine, court costs and attorney’s fees. In most cases we can successfully fight the charges and keep the charge from becoming a permanent conviction on your criminal record.

Please contact our law office for a free legal consultation on Minor in Alcohol Possession charges in San Antonio. We can walk you through your options and suggest how we can help you fight the charges with the minimum penalty possible.

Penalties you may face for a Minor Possession of Alcohol Charge
It is possible to be sentenced to jail time and stuck with a criminal conviction, but that typically doesn’t happen on a first offense unless the circumstances are extreme, and the prosecution believes that you are a danger to yourself or others.

In most cases, you are penalties can include:

One year of probation
Possible community service
Alcohol education or addiction programs
It is also possible in many cases to receive a deferred adjudication. With this option, you may be put on a probationary period for 6 months. If there are no Minor in Possession charges or other problems with the law during this period, the charges against you will be dismissed. We have had success achieving this for many of our clients. This is often the best option, since it keeps the charge from permanently appearing as a conviction on your criminal record.

Please contact us today to discuss your Minor in Possession charge. We can go over you case with you, offer suggestions and help, and explain what we can do in court to get you the best result possible.

Open Container

An open container charge can be issued on account of any bottle, can, or other open container that contains any amount of alcoholic beverage. The container must be open, have a broken seal or have it’s contents partially removed. We have experience with open container cases and have successfully defended clients charged with open container violations and kept their records clean. Texas law defines open container violations below:


(a) In this section:

(1) “Open container” means a bottle, can, or other receptacle that contains any amount of alcoholic beverage and that is open, that has been opened, that has a broken seal, or the contents of which are partially removed.

(2) “Passenger area of a motor vehicle” means the area of a motor vehicle designed for the seating of the operator and passengers of the vehicle. The term does not include:

(A) a glove compartment or similar storage container that is locked;

(B) the trunk of a vehicle; or

(C) the area behind the last upright seat of the vehicle, if the vehicle does not have a trunk.

(3) “Public highway” means the entire width between and immediately adjacent to the boundary lines of any public road, street, highway, interstate, or other publicly maintained way if any part is open for public use for the purpose of motor vehicle travel. The term includes the right-of-way of a public high

Public Intoxication

Public intoxication charges frequently occur outside of bars and restaurants, however with the proper defense attorney, the State usually has a hard time convicting people of public intoxication charges. With a Public Intoxication charge, the state must prove that you were intoxicated to the point that you were an immediate danger to others or yourself.

Under Texas Law, a person commits the offense of public intoxication if he or she appears in a public place while intoxicated to the degree that the person may be a danger to one’s self or others. (See Texas Penal Code section 49.02). Public Intoxication in Texas is punishable as a Class C Misdemeanor.

A Public Intoxication charge punishable by a fine up to $500.00 and can result in additional penalties.

The simplest way to handle your Public Intoxication charge is to pay the fine directly to the court, which will automatically enter a guilty plea and place conviction on your record. Having this charge on your criminal record can negatively affect you in future school and/or employment opportunities as well as apartment rental opportunities. We can help you avoid this.

For a flat fee of $350.00 we can handle your Public Intoxication charge in San Antonio Court. This covers all costs including your fine, court fees, and attorney fees. There are no hidden fees or additional costs. We are able to do this by negotiating the terms of payment with the court. In most cases we can keep the charge from appearing as a permanent conviction on your record. This is usually accomplished by dismissal or deferred adjudication. With a deferred adjudication, there will not be a final conviction on your record as long as you comply with the terms and conditions of the court. If you have been charged with multiple offenses, your options may differ.

A trip to the courthouse can often exceed three hours with delays in obtaining paperwork, meeting with a prosecutor or judge, and then paying the fine. Instead of taking time off from work, school or your busy schedule, let us take care of your Public Intoxication charge for you.

Attorney Ronald Ramos is experienced in fighting public intoxication charges for his clients, and will do everything necessary to help you avoid court and protect your record.